Saturday, January 16, 2010 – By Guest Blogger Frank Firek, Jr.


My dad had a bad night last night (Friday).  He got upset in the middle of the night and started knocking over tables and throwing glasses in the center of the nursing home.  Sunrise called 911 and the police came.  When my dad saw the uniformed police he settled down as he recognized and respected their uniforms and authority.  (I was told today that he said something like he thought he was in a militay / war zone and was defending himself).  In the meantime, my mom was called at 2:30am and she arrived as the police were leaving.  My dad was calm and sitting down when she got there.  She took him to his bedroom and they laid down together.  He was restless, but they both fell asleep around 4:30 am.  When my mom awoke in the morning, my dad was still sleeping so she let him sleep and went home.

Amy, Frankie, Ashton and I got to the center today around 3:30pm.  My cousin Danny Firek was there and said my dad had been doing okay since he had been there visiting.  My dad was in a good mood but seemed tired, and was even less rational than normal.  He was “seeing” a lot more things that weren’t there than normal.  Like when he got on the floor to look at my shoes and said “It’s not fair that this guy (my left shoe) has 3 pillows and this guy (my right shoe) only has one”.  So we agreed that we would have to work that out with them.

We stayed the afternoon and all had dinner together.  After dinner my dad was falling asleep in his chair in his room so I suggested that he get ready for bed and he agreed.  I gave him his toothbrush with toothpaste on it and let him brush his teeth.  When I went back in to check on him he had the toilet seat up and looked like he was going to rinse his toothbrush in the toilet.  I quickly took it from him and rinsed it in the sink.  I then helped him get undressed for bed.  We took off his fleece sweatshirt and underneath he had on 2 undershirts.  We took off his jeans, then a pair of boxer shorts, then a pair of boxer briefs, and we left on his jockey shorts.  (FYI, my dad doesn’t own any boxers or boxer briefs!  Residents “borrow” from one another’s closets unknowingly).  I then put his pajamas on and put him to bed.  He went right out.  As we were packing up to leave he woke up and we all gave him hugs and kisses and wished him a good night.  By the time we left his room he was snoring.

I sure hope he has a restful night tonight!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: